Sunday, May 29, 2011


Getting back to work

I reopened my outdoor studio several weeks ago and took these shots of some new work on the clothesline as well as the studio itself. 

Wish I had the energy to get the weeds under control.  The ivy is doing pretty well.  My oakleaf hydrangea is getting huge.  I love it.

Weather is still changeable.  It was cool and rainy today--though for the holiday weekend it was supposed to be in the 80s.  Maybe tomorrow...

Probably should have posted these images before the previous post.  You can see the dark piece I discussed already, fresh from rinsing and drying on the line.
I took down the old clotheline and installed a new one that continues at right angles to another tree so that I can see things on that line from the house.


Detail of one of the pieces on the clothesline.  This is sueded rayon and unfortunately takes the rust so well that it damaged the fibers.  I have multiple holes in the rustiest parts, so this piece is destined for collage or quilting. 

Full view of a dupioni piece that is about 55" square.  I really like the dupioni fabric.  Bought some more last week although it wasn't the wide version that I'd wanted. 

I have a piece almost the same size as this one that I unwrapped too soon.  Very weak design.  I plan to rerust it soon.  Hoping for deep dark results as on the piece in my previous post.  Wish me luck!!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Before and After

I recently began a series of horizontal pieces.  One of them can be seen in the previous post.  This second attempt resulted in a wimpy design without bold contrast, just lots of tiny details.

I decided to re-rust the piece at the urging of a friend.  It's not that I've never considered re-rusting, but I was making assumptions about the outcome, speculating that the results would be confusing.  I should have known better.

I did make a change however--I prepared the silk for a vertical transformation.  Could not have been more surprised at the unwrapping.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana...New Work

My "Innovations" collaboration is taking a lot of energy right now which is partly why I haven't posted in a while.  I've also waited a long time for the weather to cooperate.  It's now warm which is better for rusting, but lots of rainy days have kept me indoors.  Here is a recent experiment.  Hope to get many more done. 

I'm working horizontally which is new for me and continuing with using leaves as a resist.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...