Saturday, September 11, 2010

What a relief!

Several months ago Diana Hansen invited me to show at Kaskaskia College in Centralia, IL.  I've been working all summer on several large pieces--the largest I've ever done, in fact.  All the new work employs the shibori rust method.  The show will feature some of my older work as well--several prints and collages--hence the need of a larger transport for the big framed pieces.  Thanks to my niece and nephew for lending me their SUV pictured below loaded and ready to go.

It took over 2 hours Wednesday morning to load the art which, due to humidity, couldn't be done the night before.  Some of the framed pieces measure 36" x 50" and I was working alone.  I used every free blanket and sheet I owned I think, along with bubble wrap to cushion each framed piece. 

The silk was pressed and rolled onto 60" long tubes I buy at fabric stores.  I made fleece coverings for each tube so that my silk isn't in direct contact with the cardboard.  In the short term it probably wouldn't matter, but if I must store the silk on the tube for any length of time, I want it protected, so I make the extra effort.

The gallery at Kaskaskia is fairly new on campus located just inside the Lifelong Learning Center.  It is a beautiful but unusual space with floor to ceiling windows on the north and partial walls jutting into the interior from the window wall.

I worked out a plan in advance to help me layout my work.  On delivery day Diana made some suggestions to take better advantage of sight lines and I think it's all going to work out very well.  There is nearly 144 feet of wall space to fill!  I'm also going to have a silk piece on display in the library.  And, I will have a few assemblages on pedestals to fill out the space.  It's really exciting to see it all come together.  Can't wait till Monday!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...