Saturday, May 30, 2015

The Procrastinator's Work

I'll be in 4 shows this year and I'm trying to get into a fifth with an entry that is due by end of day on Tuesday. In the last week I've been desperate to get some new scarves done in order to send images to the curator of a show at Stonebridge Valley Arts Center for the showcard. See my events page for details on all the shows.

I've been experimenting with some of the new rust objects I acquired. A few of them need to weather a bit. One of the designs I got appears to have been coated with something and it's a delicate wire piece so I can't take a wire brush to it. I need to be patient.

The piece featured on this scarf rusted beautifully first time out. It's a large art deco-ish piece of iron. Not sure what it's original purpose was.  It's got a flange at the bottom center with hole for screw.  It's a beautiful piece of perfectly flat iron otherwise. I was fortunate to get a lot of variation in the print and some wonderful bleeding of the tannins.

Here's the whole scarf.  The wispy tan design and the black design at the bottom edge below the point is from a first shibori rusting on a pipe that was a partial failure. I wanted to preserve the good parts so was careful with placement of the metal objects I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...