Thursday, August 9, 2012

Fun in the Sun

Despite the heat wave and the drought some good things have come out my efforts this summer:  one--to make new work for an upcoming show and two--to work with my friend Elizabeth Adams Marks. She wanted to learn about rust and both of us wanted to experiment with eco printing. Elizabeth came for 3 days in July about the time that the temperature hit well above 100 degrees F for several days in a row. She has written a wonderful blog post on the experience. Swing by to see all the pictures and read the story here.
A year ago June I had hoped that Elizabeth would join me at India Flint's workshop at Craft Alliance in St. Louis, but travel plans to Cornwall, England had already been set. As a papermaker who works with natural materials and plants, Elizabeth's interest in the eco dyeing/printing process could no longer be contained. So, in between rusting spells we gathered what we could from the scorched garden and set about making bundles.


Elizabeth brought a large wool shawl with her and did an impressive job of bundling on one of my solid iron window sash weights.  After cooking all of our bundles on the patio we hung them from plant hangers. That was July 19. Then she flitted down to Florida and I was left to contemplate the bundles outside my back door and itching to open them. Actually I confess I jumped the gun and opened one of mine on the 20th and then was immediately sorry I didn't let it cure sufficiently.

Today was the grand unveiling. Elizabeth arrived mid morning and we rushed out to the studio. She had bundled some goodies at home before flying south and so had many more presents to open.  Mine are on the right.  The following pictures are of her shawl.


 The golden brown color is from tea.

The big bundle was cooked in my oblong container-the only one big enough to hold the iron rod. A lot of echinacea and other dried flowers had been added to the brew eventually turning the water black.

Walnut leaf cluster left a beautiful resist print, a maple leaf turned black. Walnut stems left wonderful lines behind and I'm sure more subtle prints will be revealed when the wool is washed and pressed.






I only had two bundles to unwrap--this silk hanky square was wrapped on copper and is imprinted with walnut leaf clusters.


I also bundled a silk satin scarf with sliced red cabbage, flower petals, onion skins and leaves on a walnut twig. The bundle shrunk quickly in the heat and felt hollow when I touched it unlike all the other bundles which were tight. I was afraid all the work was going to come to nothing if the bundle was loose. But appearances can be deceiving.

Was very pleasantly surprised to see all the color on the interior of this very dark bundle.  I've got blues, violets, oranges, greens, pinks.  Really excited now.








13 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Pat. Looking forward to you coming to my garden this weekend to dye in my indigo crock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I should be working on my hems, etc. I'm dreaming up ways I can make indigo and rust pieces!

      Delete
  2. Great story, post, and photos. Congratulations on holding out for the unbundling...great colors and prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ayn and Judy,
      The rewards of waiting really stirs the juices. Want to get many more bundles made.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous colours.. and the surprises are worth waiting for.... if you can.. I get very impatient too.... :)
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat, I discovered you whilst looking at India Flint related pieces. I am going on a 3 day workshop with India this month and can't wait. Your results are stunning. I can feel the excitement through your blog posts...I cant wait to be opening bundles !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jenny,
    Thanks for stopping by. If you scroll back to June of last year you can see the workshop pics spread over about 4 posts. This new work is the first serious eco printing I've done since then and hope to do more, but my time is pointed toward rusting for the present. Although tomorrow I get to dip into some indigo with Elizabeth who is featured in this post. Have great fun with your workshop and India!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, the rewards of patience!
    All of the pieces are exceptional! But Elizabeth's shawl (how big was it.... it looks huge!) and your walnut branch scarf are mind blowing!
    Did you wrap the bundles in plastic while they were undergoing their alchemy?
    Patience is my mantra....... but alas it is not my actuality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the bundles cooled off in the cooking water for the night they were hung in open air on my patio as you can see from the picture. The big bundle/shawl that Eliz did was wrapped on a heavy iron window sash weight with a hole on one end so that was easy. The others we looped the end of the string over the plant hangers.

      Delete
    2. I guess I live in a place where it's hot and dry..... if I was to leave my bundles without covering them with something (either in a glass jar,wrapped in plastic or buried) they would be dry within a day. They look nice hanging on the porch!

      hugs
      Julie

      Delete
    3. We were experiencing temperatures over 100 degrees and very dry conditions. But after 2 1/2 weeks, Elizabeth's big bundle was still damp inside. Mine were dry, but there was enough moisture at some point for mold to grow on the red cabbage I used inside one of mine. I would think enclosing a bundle in plastic would promote mold. I wonder if anyone has tried leaving them in the open but occasionally misting the bundle to keep it damp?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...