|One of Professor Laura Strand's experiments on cotton napkin|
Eight days later--tonight I was chatting with one of the students who sat in on the first day of the workshop and chided her for not washing her fabric. Guess what? I hadn't washed mine. And some rusting had continued on one I'm sure. I should have neutralized it right away. The others not so bad, but then I put two pieces in to soak a while ago. One was very dark and a lot of the excess seeped into the water and further stained the cloth. Lesson learned. You'll see from the pictures how it changed. Of course I'm looking at it wet now and the scarves are in the washer now. Will post an update farther down.
|This student wrapped her fabric with a horse bridle made of chain.|
|Chains were used to make this beautiful piece. On silk I think.|
|Detail of student work on a lopsided piece of organza. The results were spectacular. Looks like natural stone|
|Another beautiful student piece that utilized chains.|
In three hours on that first day, there was my lecture, then showing of actual fabrics, followed by instructions and then a move downstairs to the covered sculpture patio to try our experiments. I demonstrated my wrapping technique but everyone was so excited to get started on their own experiments and there was so little time left in the class that it was a mad dash to grab, consult, wrap and protect with plastic until the next class 2 days later. At the end of that day I thought it would be a miracle if we had results. Oh me of little faith!
|I'm dying to see the silk gauze piece above...no room to spread it out on the clothesline. Remarkable results given the transparency of this fabric. The whole organza piece that I pictured above in detail can be seen on the left.|
Shannon Norton, a metalsmith student at SIUE, who also happens to be one of my long ago high school students, came for the first day of the workshop by skipping out on her metals class. (Thank you Professor Paulette Myers!) I caught her just as I was packing my car on the last day to leave and urged her to open her bundle before it went to far. It was Shannon I was chatting with this evening when I realized I hadn't washed my own fabric.
There were 10 or 11 students in the workshop. My photos have only showcased about half. Hoping to go back out to SIUE soon to see the end results and more experiments and perhaps sit in on a critique.
The middle scarf as you will see has lost the almost white background near the top because I left it to soak too long instead of doing a straight rinse first.
I usually use vinegar. And of course I can never predict the outcome anyway. The pipe was from the sculpture yard and had never been used for this purpose before. Its special qualities might very well have been unique to the process.
I attempted another zebra print using my auger and the results are somewhat similar to a previous scarf, but no near white areas. In fact this design's lightest areas darkened considerably through the soaking I mentioned doing this evening. You can see the difference here in this detail from near the top of the scarf as compared with the picture of the scarf on the clothesline. A lot of purple/violet colors developed throughout the piece as well as rich blacks and some strange greens at the bottom and almost pure yellow as you'll see from the center portion of the scarf. The streaks you see are a result of the auger standing nearly upright while it rusted. All the juices were running!
Detail 3 of the bottom of my new zebra scarf . Am puzzling over what created the greenish colors. It is unique. String marks seen in other details of this scarf have been obscured by the migration of juices.
Having done this first workshop I am contemplating the future.